In 1804, Metropolitan Gabriel, while in Odessa, met the Moldavian nobleman Alexander Teutul, whose possessions, consisting of two plots of 25 acres each, were located on the seashore, in the area of the Big Fountain. Alexander Teutula has repeatedly assured the Metropolitan of his desire to build a church and a lighthouse here. And in 1814 Teutul gave Metropolitan Gabriel a written certificate that his fountain estate was transferred to the Chisinau Metropolitanate. The story of a generous donation is interesting and tragic. Once Alexander Teutul made fires on the high seashore in the evening. A Greek ship heading for Odessa mistook the lights for a lighthouse, took the wrong course and crashed. In this case, several people died. Alexander Teutul was very saddened by the misfortune that had happened. Seeing this as a connection with his unfulfilled vow, Teutul gifted the surviving sailors and donated his fountain estate to the Church for the construction of a temple and a lighthouse on this land in order to prevent such accidents. Metropolitan Gabriel sent a letter to the Odessa governor, Duke de Richelieu, and permission to make a deed of a fortress for the donated land was soon received.
After 1834, the monastic brethren, at their own expense, built a small, third, church in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. From the preserved archival documents it is known that in the 90s of the XIX century it was rebuilt and renewed. Around 1920, a fraternal building was added to the eastern side of St. Nicholas Church, which is still under the same roof.
After the closure of the Holy Dormition Monastery by the God-fighters in 1922, the rebellious wind of the civil war and the time of troubles scattered the inhabitants of the monastery all over the face of the suffering Russian land.
In 1944, the revival of the monastery began. Its former inhabitants are returning to their native monastery. The monastery begins to improve. In 1946, the Holy Dormition Monastery was first visited by His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy I. Since that time, the summer residence of the Patriarch was arranged in the monastery, who began to come to the monastery for several months every year. In this regard, the Holy Dormition Odessa Monastery began to be called the Patriarch.
In 1988, in the year of the 1000th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus, a helmet-shaped dome was erected over the St. Nicholas Church and the bell tower was rebuilt. The monastery reached its peak when His Eminence Agafangel, Metropolitan of Odessa and Izmail, entered the Odessa See, who is tirelessly working on beautifying the monastery. Through his prayers and diligence, a new magnificent cathedral was built in honor of the icon of the Mother of God “Life-Giving Source”, a bell tower with a gate church in honor of St. princes-passion-bearers Boris and Gleb, which became a masterpiece of Odessa architecture.
In the Holy Dormition Church of the monastery, the shrines of the Orthodox Church are kept: a particle of the tree of the Honest and Life-giving Cross of Gopodnya, a part of the robe of Christ the Savior, a part of the tunic of the Most Holy Theotokos, an ark with the relics of St. Andrew the First-Called (right foot), an ark with the relics of St. , the holy Apostle Luke, the holy first martyr and archdeacon Stephen, the holy great martyr and healer Panteleimon and many other saints, the miraculous locally revered icon of the Mother of God, called the Mammal. This holy image was painted by Athonite monks in the 17th century.
In 1964, a former Athos monk, known throughout the country, the elder of holy life, Scheigumen Kuksha (Velichko), finished his earthly journey in the Odessa monastery. For his ascetic life, the Lord glorified him with gifts: prayer, perspicacity and miracles. After the blessed death of the schema-abbot, on December 24, 1964, miracles and healings took place at his grave in the monastery cemetery. On September 29, 1994, the relics of the ever-memorable elder were uncovered. The Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, at its meeting on October 4, 1994, having carefully studied the materials about the life and ascetic activities of the blessed elder, considered the evidence of miraculous healings that took place at his grave, for the sanctity of life and in connection with the undoubted veneration of the elder by the people of God, decided to reckon Schema-abbot Kukshu to the face of locally revered saints. Canonization celebrations were held at the Holy Dormition Odessa Monastery on October 22, 1994. Since that time, the Holy Dormition Church of the monastery houses the holy relics of the Monk Kuksha of Odessa.
Odessa Assumption Monastery photo